2/10/09

Arlington Arts Center

Well surprise surprise! We went to Arlington Arts Center which works out just super for me cause AAC is the subject for my project in Museums and Communities, so I got to kill 2 birds with one stone! Yipee !

I had never been there before and I picked it as the subject of my Museums and Communities class project purely cause it is in VA and I wouldn't have to go into DC to visit. 

The exhibit "PUBLIC/private" was interesting to say the least. But I am not gonna lie, it does bring up that question to me of "what is art?" I'm not sure who is qualified to say what is/isn't art but if it's me I am going to say some of that stuff was not art,  or at least it was bad art!

I did however enjoy the news show from the "Everything That We Know News Network". There were 2 computer screens set up showing a mock news show that husband and wife team, Chris Barr and Veronique Cote, did. The two of them acted as newcasters and reported the "news" about family members. They talked about mundane (and not so mundane) things that were going on in the lives of their family members as if it were the news. At the top of the screen there was a rolling scroll of "up to the minute news" which was actually things family members were submitting via twitter. 

I thought it was hilarious! It went along with the theme of "public/private" taking the private lives and issues of these people and bringing them into the public realm and I suppose hopefully, raising awareness on certain issues that effect us all in day to day life.

My least favorite was the video of the lady with the red signs that stood around in different spots in DC waiting for a reaction. I watched that video for a good 10 minutes I think and on the card next to it, it said that some people did have some surprising responses as they walked by. I saw none of that, people didn't even pay attention to her. I'm still trying to decide if it is still art when nobody pays any mind to it. 

No comments: