2/1/09

U-N-I-T-Y!

I enjoyed the collaborative projects created last class. The first exercise functioned like a warm-up. Each team member placed their unique signature on a 11" x 14" sheet of paper. During the second round the artist's creative flow was purposely interrupted by a term such as 'skull' or 'Obama'. The artist had two options: to illustrate the term or reinterpret the term within the context of the current piece. By the second and third exercise I understood the concept of de-centering subjectivities while creating artwork with others. As an artist it is easy to become attached to an artwork. The thought of collaborating with someone else can be frightening. While participating in the exercises I was open to the idea of someone 'remixing' my crayon masterpiece by adding a bruise or a burger and fries. 

I was most apprehensive about the exquisite corpse style poem. It takes time to conceive a thought, apply pen to paper and to allow all three elements to merge as one.  The team had 11 seconds to read the poem, digest a line or two, produce a sentence, and write the selection on the paper. I recall reading the last word on the preceding line and marking the paper with a nonsensical set of words. I remember many group members pausing and at times cracking under pressure. Time became a threat. It forced our minds to scramble, our chests to tighten, and our cheeks to become rosy red. The clock became a thief, snatching sanity and calmness from our fingertips. The exercise also gave me some ideas for 'icebreakers' to use in the k-12 classroom setting. By participating in the exercises, I do feel more acquainted with my fellow team members. :)

2 comments:

Mark Cameron Boyd said...

As usual, excellent & thoughtful commentary from Farolyn. Your awareness of the "time threat" is significant: possible even more disruptive than my interjected words, the limits of temporality divest the pieces of their contemplative & compositional aspects.

Mandeesa said...

I found the time threat during our poem not very effective. When we were writing and our time was up we just had to drop our pencils and move on. I didn't agree with that, because there were times when I was in the middle of writing a word and I had to drop everything. I think that messed up the flow of our poem to have incomplete words and thoughts. I would have much more prefered that instead of saying at the end of each time segment "times up! stop writing," maybe we could have said, "times up! Finish your THOUGHT and hand it to the next person."

I do agree with Farolyn. These activities gave me new ideas to use as ice breakers in a classroom with students.

I would say my favorite is the portrait that we all contributed to. I was really concerned as to how the picture would turn out...I thought it would be a giant mess of colors and lines. However, it turned out great and I wonder what would happen if another group of people tried it....:)